Saturday, August 22, 2009

This is Why I Love Max Bemis

Max Bemis is amazing. He's been answering questions about Say Anything, their new album, their old stuff, etc. via Twitter recently and today he was asked a question about songwriting. Here's what he had to say:

@danenglishh songwriting; I think the first step is coNfidence; realize what u have to say is worthwhile; u can write as well as ur idols

I completely agree. I've always had confidence issues with my art; I can't live up to my heroes, I'm just not that good, I actually think something's good but I don't want to sound cocky. I'm starting to realize that putting myself down is such bullshit. Letting those vampires get to me isn't going to get me anywhere. So I've been going with an attitude of "Fuck it, I'm awesome,". I won't boast or be douchy about it or anything, but I'm done putting myself down in public. I'm going to start speaking up for my work; if I think something's good, I might as well say so. It's some weird complex that comes with being a girl; we seem to have contests where we sort of brag about how lame we are (i.e. "I'm fat," "I can't sing," "I'm not as pretty as Megan Fox,") and whoever has the most problems wins. I find it kind of really annoying. I'm making it my goal this year to complain less and feel as awesome as I possibly can (without being a douchbag and putting anyone else down). And it's going to start with trying new things. Screenwriting, songwriting, photography, coaching color guard, I'm gonna try to do it all and maintain my sanity. It's gonna be a fun year. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Charlotte! Woo woo! See through the bullshit!

    You're so right about how girls never acknowledge their potential; I mean, I AM as hot as Megan Fox, god dammnit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, all of your writing on this blog is freakin fantastic... I went to the link when you posted it on facebook today and I decided I had to comment on this blog because I can 100 percent relate to you on this.

    Keep up the writing love!

    ReplyDelete